Top 10 Tips from One of Chicago’s Best Professional Organizers
- Plan time for organizing, even 15 minutes a day can help you reach your goal.
- Keep only what you use or love.
- Develop good habits, put things away daily.
- Eliminate whatever you can from coming into your space, don’t let junk mail into your home.
- Adopt a favorite charity. You benefit as well as others. It’s easier to donate if you know someone else can use it.
- Create donation dates on your calendar monthly or quarterly. This will remind you to go through your possessions regularly.
- Shop less, bring home only what you need. Many times you can use what you already own.
- Keep your photos together in proper containers, where you can find them easily.
- Enlist help from your family. Do not expect to do everything yourself. Others need to support your efforts and learn to do things, too.
- Keep your important documents together in a bank box and have copies in your file.
Jane Carroo, Organizing Coach Company
Jane Carroo is one of Chicago’s best professional organizers, having helped hundreds of clients over a 12-year career. Jane has appeared on NBC, CBS, WGN Radio, Hoarders, and been featured in many leading publications. She has a long affiliation with the National Association of Professional Organizers and was among the among the first certified professional organizers.